To help you learn from more advanced traders and develop your own skills, SpikeTrade runs a transparent trading competition with bonuses and prizes. Each round lasts one week, from Monday through Friday. Participation is mandatory for the elite-level traders (called Spikers), and voluntary for all other Members. In the beginning, you probably want to be a spectator, but as you become more familiar with the system, start to participate in the competition.
How to Participate
To submit your own pick for the competition, go to the Spike Picks tab and click on "New Pick" in the menu on the left (in the "My Spike Pick" section). Fill out the form with the ticker, trade direction (long or short), position size, entry, target, stop, and more. The time window for entering picks is between 5 pm ET on Friday and 3 pm ET on Sunday.
Bonuses and Awards
- Participation Bonuses: If your pick trades in our system, you earn a $3 Participation bonus (for example, 'buy AAPL at $1' will not trigger a trade, but 'buy AAPL at the market' will).
- Performance Bonuses: If your pick outperforms the third best Spiker trade for the week, you earn a $17 Performance bonus.
- Bank Robbery Award: We publicly recognize Members who win three or more Performance bonuses in a month.
- Spiker Status: Members with a good performance record over time may earn a spot in our group of elite-level members called Spikers.
Participation and Performance Bonuses accumulate and are deducted from your next membership renewal. Please see our How to Earn Credits document for more details.
How to Spectate
- GS: Gold Stars: top performers
- TP: Total Lifetime Spiker points (Spikers earn 3 points for a weekly Gold, 2 for Silver, and 1 for Bronze)
- Avg: Average points per quarter during their tenure
- Member: the Member's first name and last initial are displayed. Click on the Member's name to view their public profile.
- Symbol: the ticker symbol picked by the Member. Click the ticker symbol to view the full trade plan for that pick.
- D: Direction (long or short)
- Planned Entry
- Order Type
- Actual Entry
- Actual Exit
- P/L: profit or loss for this week’s trade
- Watch list: is this pick in your Watch List for the week
- Q: have any questions been asked and answered about this pick
- W: how many Members are watching this pick
SpikeTrade values transparency and accountability. We allow you to view everyone's trade plans and performance during the competition week. You can also view the picks and results for any previous week for the entire history of SpikeTrade. If you'd like to view the picks for previous weeks, click Archive Picks in the menu on the left (in the "Spike Performance" section).
Our Honor Roll in the menu on the left salutes our top members. Check out the Weekly and Quarterly reports of Spikers' performance, recipients of the Bank Robbery Award, and the equity curves of the Top Five Spikers.